[dfads params='groups=4969&limit=1&orderby=random']

Pursuit incident culminates in accident



By Sun Advocate

Carbon County Deputy Chris Basso and Price firefighter Carey Seals gather their gear following an automobile accident on U.S. Highway 6 last Thursday. The accident occurred following a high speed chase involving Wellington city police. The suspect vehicle reportedly crossed the center line and collided with oncoming traffic, causing a chain reaction involving a total of four vehicles. Only the driver of the suspect vehicle sustained injuries.

A routine traffic stop on June 5 purportedly turned into a high speed chase incident and culminated in a four-vehicle accident.
According to Utah Highway Patrol Trooper Dave Brinker-hoff, the incident reportedly started when a Wellington police officer pulled over a 1998 Ford Contour driven by 32-year-old Camille Stansfield.
The suspect allegedly took off westbound and led the police officer on a high speed chase along Wellington’s Main Street.
The high speed pursuit continued onto U.S. Highway 6 as the Wellington motorist drove toward Price, explained the UHP trooper.
Stansfield’s vehicle purportedly crossed the center line at approximately mile post 245 and came in contact with a 1991 Chevrolet pickup driven by a United States Department of Interior employee traveling eastbound on U.S. 6, indicated Brinkerhoff
After hitting the truck, the Stansfield vehicle rotated several times, but the Ford Contour remained on its wheels, explained the UHP trooper.
The suspect car then came to rest on the eastbound side of the highway where it collided with a second pickup truck owned by the U.S. Interior Department.
While the Stansfield car was spinning, the trooper indicated debris flew off the Ford Contour and struck a third vehicle occupied by people from Draper.
Stansfield was the only person who was not wearing a seat belt when the accident occurred.
The Wellington resident was also the only victim injured in connection with the chain reaction traffic mishap.
At the scene, Stansfield was listed in critical condition with severe arm injuries. Later that afternoon, the victim was flown to LDS Hospital and her condition was upgraded to stable, indicated the trooper.
The accident caused delays for motorists traveling between Price and Wellington on U.S. 6. Traffic was reduced to a single lane as rescue crews and law enforcement officers worked out the accident details.
Brinkerhoff explained that the incident remains under investigation.
“It was really fortunate that no innocent citizen was injured in the incident. This was a situation which could have easily turned out a lot worse,” concluded Brinkerhoff .

[dfads params='groups=1745&limit=1&orderby=random']
scroll to top